Thursday, January 28, 2010

Get Ready to See a Whole Lot More of This



F4WOnline.com is reporting:

While plans can always change, at last word Triple H was considered the favorite to win the Royal Rumble and receive a title match against Sheamus at WrestleMania. As a result, Sheamus is highly expected to retain his title against Randy Orton this Sunday, leaving Orton to move on to his expected feud with Ted DiBiase.

Shawn Michaels is expected to face Batista at No Way Out to determine who will battle the Undertaker at WrestleMania. It's pretty much a lock that HBK will overcome "The Animal" to setup the obvious, which would leave big interbrand match at WrestleMania as John Cena versus Batista.


Visions of Randy Orton repeatedly shouting "Stupid!" come to mind. I'm trying to formulate a complete and coherent argument regarding all of this.

Sheamus is a TERRIBLE champion. This isn't Sheamus' fault. It's WWE's fault. They let Cena bury him at every turn, and then they let Cena bury Orton - so that'll get us all good and riled up to watch Orton versus Sheamus at the Royal Rumble, except right. Sheamus, the WWE Champion, is just an extra in the John Cena show. While I sort of don't want to see Randy Orton carrying around the Mattel Toy that is the WWE Championship, I'd really rather not see Sheamus carry it around for another month. Again, I don't attribute this to him. I'm sure I could rather like him if WWE didn't make everything about John Cena.

Triple H winning the Royal Rumble feels like same old same old. Now, I know he has't won it nearly as often as I'd like to pretend he has. And I admit that I am a Hunter mark. When he's not running around with Hornswoggle and appeasing every single guest host that comes in the door, I find him very entertaining. But he main evented Wrestlemania last year. I don't care to see it again. Not in a main event with Sheamus. How is that EVEN WrestleMania caliber main eventing? The champion we've been burying for a month now, against a guy who isn't even in contention for a major title right now - he gets to main event WrestleMania? LAME SAUCE.

Granted, after last year, I'm probably going to order Wrestlemania on merit of Taker vs. HBK II - but Batista versus Cena is just two not very good wrestlers getting together and wrestling at Wrestlemania. "Stupid! Stupid!"

As an Orton mark since 2004 - you'll probably be surprised to learn that I don't really care about the fact that he won't be main eventing WrestleMania. He did that last year, and I prefer they not run it into the ground. But a feud with Ted DiBiase? Did the WWE Creative Team not read my short essay on why Randy Orton should turn face? Hello?! He's getting MAD face pop, consistently, at EVERY show the past three weeks even after he allegedly spit on some disabled kid. And you're going to put him in a fued with Ted DiBiase?! Where the heck is my closure on the feud with Kofi?! Give me that first! And I'm all for breaking up Legacy - but a feud with DiBiase doesn't make sense right now. It would have made sense 6 weeks ago when The Marine 2 came out, and Randy had some reason to be jealous, etc. etc. That would have been too easy though, huh? That would have been too freakin' convenient. Does anyone give a care if Ted DiBiase turns face? He's going to run a program with Randy - then go right back to a feud with The Miz. WAIT! See... that I would watch. WHAT IS WRONG WITH THESE PEOPLE. DiBiase turns face, works into a program with the Miz.

Oh, and for the love of God. Get Ted some acting lessons before you let him within 100 yards of a feud with Randy. Randy can carry him through a match, but you don't want Randy to break kayfabe and call Ted stupid right into a microphone do you? Cause he will. Oh, he will.

4 comments:

Brian said...

Here's why I disagree and do not want to see Orton turned anything NEAR a face -- they'll take everything that got him over in the first place, everything interesting about him, and throw it out the window for the sake of cheap pops and bland catchphrases (see: Cena, John and Morrison, John). If we still had writers like we did in Stone Cold's day, where they basically turned him face but just barely tweaked his personality so he could interact with the fans without insulting them but without pandering to them, then I'd be less scared of Orton turning. But I have zero faith in today's crack writing team in the area of writing an interesting, likeable, over, main event face (MVP's a slight exception but that's mostly because he's in a feud with Miz right now, and that's the most interesting thing he's ever done).

I wish Vince and WWE as a whole would just come to terms with the fact that the fanbase, as a whole, is "smarter" than it used to be. Let the people cheer the heels for the sake of appreciating what a fantastic job they do in playing heels.

In other words... LEAVE RANDY ALOOONEEEE!

Cory said...

I want to see Orton as a face, and I will explain why. As a heel, Orton has now accomplished everything he can. He's won the Royal Rumble and he's main evented Wrestlemania. He's feuded with every major good guy the WWE has to offer, and is now forced to lower himself to feuding with mid carders. He's even successfully put Vince McMahon over as a face. Honestly, what left is there? Kick Linda McMahon in the head?

Randy needs a fresh crop of people to feud with, and guess what? The only people left are other bad guys. The heels are the only ones interesting enough to carry a program with him now, because Randy has punted his way through the entire armada of lame faces that the WWE has to offer. Unless Vince has some sort of sudden revelation and says "Hey! All my face characters are boring, repetitive, and each of them does some stupid wiggle, dance move before delivering an offensive maneuver!", then Randy is not going to do anything worth noting unless he makes a face turn.

Brian said...

I can see that. And I agree, I'd very much be down with him feuding with some fresh people -- but I don't want him to lose what he has. This whole "viper" thing is the only thing that's ever made him remotely interesting to me, and he's transformed himself into the top guy in the company (if not the whole industry).

I'd like to see him start feuding with some other heels (this match with Sheamus is a good start but they haven't hardly pushed it as a feud at all), but not changing a single thing about his persona. Outheel the other heels. Continue to push his own agenda of "I am the number one guy around here and there's nothing you can do about it." If you turn him face and take away that attitude, I just don't see him being nearly as interesting as he is now.

Plus the draft is coming up (assuming). With any luck, one or two big names will move there and free up some new feuds (has Orton/Christian been done yet?).

Ashlee said...

ORTON CHRISTIAN.

I just had a mini-stroke. THAT IS AWESOME!